Leading from Home: Investing in HBCC Provider Leaders
Seeking Provider Leaders
Home Grown is seeking home-based providers and caregivers to participate in our Leading from Home initiative. If you are a home-based child care provider or caregiver who leads a community of providers and parents and are passionate about creating change in the child care sector, we invite you to learn more about this opportunity. We want to hear from both licensed and regulated Family Child Care (FCC) providers and license-exempt Family, Friend, and Neighbor (FFN) caregivers. Applications are now open. Apply by March 31st, 2022.
- Are You a Provider Leader?
- The Challenge
- Program Overview
- Eligibility Criteria
- Featured Providers
Para ver esta página en español, haga clic aquí
Home-based child care is often under-resourced, under-appreciated, and even invisible. Current systems do not include the voices of providers/caregivers and parents in making key decisions for this sector. The Leading from Home initiative seeks to invest in and strengthen providers and families to inform policy decisions and actions. We seek to build and support community leaders and their goals to influence policy and systems.
Provider leaders in Leading from Home might work toward one of more of following goals:
- I want to connect with my local and state representatives to improve their support of home-based providers
- I want community resources to better meet the needs of home-based providers
- I want family, friend, and neighbor caregivers to be included in the Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP) in my state
- I want family, friend, and neighbor caregivers to be able to access child care subsidies or vouchers in my state
- I want my state to use a cost of care model to set (and increase) child care subsidy rates for home-based providers
- I want equal language access for materials and resources for home-based providers and families (e.g., I want the language that I speak to be included in materials and resources for home-based providers and families)
The Leading from Home initiative exists to support home-based providers/caregivers and families as they work to make positive change.
Home Grown is creating a leadership network of providers/caregivers in communities across the country. These provider-led informal groups will engage in four primary activities:
Home Grown will provide
Individuals are encouraged to apply. 501(c)(3) status is not required.
Priority will go to leaders who meet the criteria below and also:
- Have clear goals for their provider/caregiver network, particularly in the realms of policy, strategic communications, and engagement.
- Include parents as partners in your network convenings.
Criteria: We are looking for applicants who:
- Are existing home-based child providers or caregivers. Both licensed Family Child Care providers and license-exempt or unregulated Family, Friend, and Neighbor (FFN) providers and caregivers are eligible.
- Lead or co-lead a network of home-based child care providers or caregivers. This can be a formal network or informal group of providers/caregivers that you regularly communicate and meet with.
- Commit to:
- Convening your provider/caregiver network monthly or more frequently. This may take place in-person or virtually and follow established protocols.
- Growing your network and encouraging additional home-based child care providers or caregivers to join your meetings and efforts.
- Identifying your community’s needs and desired supports to help you to take action.
- Collaborating with technical assistance partners around the needs identified by your community to develop strategies for change.
- Engaging your network in opportunities identified by peer communities. This might include events, surveys, discussions and other engagement opportunities.
- Collaborating with Home Grown, including:
- Sharing of information about members (with their consent)
- Advising on Home Grown initiatives
- Participating in a national Community of Practice of provider/caregiver leaders to be convened by Home Grown and its partners
Learn More and Application Support
Home Grown is here to answer your questions and support your application. Connect with us via:
Register for a webinar on Tuesday, March 29th, 1:00-2:00pm Eastern (English and Spanish) to learn more about the Leading from Home initiative and ask your questions.
If you have any additional questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Home Grown is gathering information about language preferences to help us better accommodate providers in the future. If you would like this content in another language, please fill out this brief form and let us know.
Provider/caregiver leaders will receive $1,000 monthly stipends for up to 12 months, plus funding for additional expenses related to network activities and engagement (e.g., technology, meeting expenses, transportation).
These funds are intended to support you as you grow and empower your network of providers or caregivers to make positive change for home-based child care. The $1,000 monthly stipend is compensation for you, the provider/caregiver network leader. Networks with co-leaders may divide the stipend across both leaders (e.g., $500 each for two co-leaders).
Additional funding is available to support network activities, which may include but are not limited to:
- Engagement barriers (transportation, virtual meeting platforms)
- Costs associated with in-person gatherings when safe to do so (e.g., space rental, food)
- Mailings and postage
Home Grown will make additional supports available to you to assist with planning and the implementation of your plans including: logistical/administrative supports and problem solving; strategic and planning supports; communications resources. We will work with you to fund trusted technical assistance partners or to identify mission-aligned vendors and partners.
Please submit your application by Thursday, March 31st.
Home Grown staff, funders, and provider advisors will review applications and conduct interviews and select a diverse group of provider leaders.
We will contact finalists for interviews in early April. We plan to announce participant selections by late April 2022.
The funding for this work is provided by a subset of Home Grown’s funders.
Note: Provider/caregiver leaders who receive funding will need to report the stipend funds as income. Home Grown will connect selected leaders with consultants to support you with this.
Priority will be given to current home-based child providers serving one or more children.