Hawaii Community Foundation

COVID-19 Impact

As of mid-April, over 21% of Hawaii’s labor force filed unemployment claims, putting Hawaii at one of the highest state-wide rates of unemployment due to the pandemic. Just 30% of childcare providers were open, but they are serving far fewer children than pre-pandemic. Of the remaining 70%, many are unsure if they will reopen or know how they will financially manage.

Emergency Fund

Hawaii Community Foundation has launched the Home-Based Child Care (HBCC) Emergency Fund, powered by the Hawaii Resilience Fund (HRF), to provide relief to licensed home-based child care providers across Hawaii. The Fund is intended to support child care providers currently serving health heroes and other essential workers. The Fund also seeks to lessen the potential for permanent closure of child care, especially in areas where home-based care is the primary option for families. The awards recognize the key role child care professionals play in helping our island communities weather the COVID-19 crisis and ease the burden on providers so that their focus can be on caring for children and families and themselves. In May, HCF awarded 125 grants to licensed family child care providers across every county in the state with an average of $2,000 per grant.

Mother teaching children at home because the coronavirus - Learning with digital tablet

Stabilizing the Economic Well-Being of Family, Friend Neighbor Providers

FFN care is one of the most used forms of child care for young children and reliance on this care increased during the pandemic. Greater attention to, inclusion of, and support for FFN caregivers is an urgent priority. 
gabe-pierce-mLqWFEtlIEs-unsplash-crop

New Report Provides Data, Illuminates Opportunities and Challenges for Home-based Pre-K Providers

A recently released report from Home Grown and the National Institute for Early Education Research (NIEER) provides critical state and city data on the current integration of Family Child Care (FCC) providers in publicly-funded pre-K. Titled Including Family Child Care in State and City-Funded Pre-K Systems: Opportunities and Challenges, it also examines perceived opportunities and challenges with FCC participation in pre-K. Home Grown believes that Family Child Care providers contribute a vital service, often in under-served communities, and are deserving of the opportunity to access public pre-K funding to further nurture and teach the children in their care.
Home-Grown-NETWORK-HUB-infographic-draft4_Final

Building Child Care Infrastructure through Comprehensive Networks